Monday, July 6, 2009

The Tour Begins

Wow, a year has come and gone. Wait, four years have come and gone. Can you believe it's been four years since Lance Armstrong rode in a Tour de France??? No? Me either.

Tour de France winners since Lance:

2006 - Oscar Pereiro - don't remember him? That's because this was the year that Floyd Landis won the Tour. I think his excuse was, "a beer and a shot of whiskey" and since when was that a crime?

2007 - Alberto Contador - coached by Lance and riding for Lance's Discovery Team at the time. Also riding for Lance again this year on team Astana.

2008 - Carlos Sastre - the Spaniard; but win marred by the fact that all the big names were disqualified.

2009 - ???

The 2009 Tour de France started on July 4th, which puts us 3 days into the biggest bicycle race of the year. And yes, Lance Armstrong has come back to win his record setting 8th Tour de France. If you've been watching the HD coverage on Versus (Channel 603 on DirecTV) then you've heard the Versus theme music which for me is akin to the theme music to Monday Night Football. I hear that music and I'm entranced. I've been meaning to start this blog since day 1, but I hear the music and all I can do is just watch. Now that I've had a chance to settle in a bit, just like the riders in the Tour, I can finally take a breath and put a pen to paper.

So here we are on the precipice of Michael Jordan's big come back. I mean Brett Favre's big come back. Oh who are we kidding, can a 38 year old retired bike racer come back and win the biggest bike race in the world? Do you know Lance Armstrong?

No one comes back to lose, but there's something different about Lance. I believe him. On top of that, this is the first time in four years that people have asked if I'll do Tour updates again. That must mean you probably come from one of two sides. You want to see Lance win it again and keep the Yellow Jersey away from the French or you want to see the arrogant Texan fall flat on his face. Whatever your wish, people are again interested in a bike race through France and that's pretty intriguing. Let the games begin!

7 comments :

  1. McMommy said...

    Nice work!! I'm predicting a game of "keep away" from the French.

  2. Anonymous said...

    Lance Schmance -- he's got no business coming back and creating havoc throughout the cycling ranks. This doped up Texan is just that -- a big dope.

  3. Anonymous said...

    I'm hoping Lance can pull it off - if not I guess he can always go back to Kate Hudson. McSister

  4. TexasDan said...

    "Lance Schmance" - Greg Lemond is that you? Sit on the couch and eat another triple cheeseburger.

  5. Anonymous said...

    Wait... where's the update? Who's winning? Where's Lance? Has anyone been caught smoking Meth? Any links to some cool wrecks on Youtube? Have any Parisians assaulted any of the riders w/ baguettes? This is the kind of info we need. The answers to which will keep us coming back for more.

    -McMoreThanJustANeighbor

  6. Dennis and Leslie said...

    I have no idea what you are talking about....I'm just here for the brownie cheesecake.

  7. Wendi said...

    Welcome to Bloggeritaville
    Texas Dan!!!